But.. there is a light at the end of the tunnel: there are ways to improve the data-collection process, and to present annual reports in more exciting ways than just a boring .PDF version of that same printed copy!
Stefanie Neno joined the The International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) in 2014 as Public Awareness Coordinator and became Communications Manager in January 2016. She supervises the Center’s corporate and strategic communications, story development, media outreach, events, web presence (website, blog, and social media), and design and publications areas.
Stefanie has worked in communications related to sustainable development for the past 15 years. She received a Master’s degree in Environmental Economics in 2002 and subsequently trained in strategic communications, outreach and policy influencing.
Joan Apio has a 10 year experience working with African Universities to strategically position themselves through turning scientific research into simple yet compelling communication products. Joan has worked as the Program Officer, Communication, Publicity and Marketing at the Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM), a network of 85 universities in 35 African countries. She has engaged with stakeholders to design and implementation of Communication Strategies.
Samuel Stacey is a digital marketing and communication consultant, specializing in websites, campaigns, social media and content creation. He’s currently Interim Communications Manager at the CGIAR System Organization, and has served as their Online Media Coordinator since 2014. Over the past 4 years, he has been involved in several interactive Annual Report projects, taking print versions and rapidly deploying fully featured, interactive, single-page websites.
Jennifer Johnson is the Communications Officer for the CGIAR Research Program on Maize (MAIZE) at the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) in Mexico, where she works to develop innovative web content and annual reports to highlight the work being done by MAIZE and CIMMYT staff around the world.
Jemima Mandapati is a Senior Communication Officer at the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) in India. She worked as a journalist in the Indian media for over a decade. At ICRISAT she started off as a Science Writer/Editor in 2014, working on annual reports, the newsletter and other publications besides taking on reporting assignments.
Fiona Chandler is a communication champion who works in the agricultural development environment to mobilize communities and partnerships. After spending nearly 20 years working in communication, fund raising and organizational development for agricultural research for development organizations, Fiona knows what drives conversions, builds partnership, fosters communities—and it’s not just blasting your messages out. It’s how well you connect with the people you’re engaged with and nurture mutual collaboration.
Fiona has worked with both the doers and donors in international agricultural research and development including the CGIAR, GFAR and CSIRO.
You can contact the speakers directly via:
- Jemima Mandapati (ICRISAT-IN) <M.Jemima@cgiar.org>
- Fiona Chandler <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Samuel Stacey (CGIAR System Organization) <email@example.com>
- Jennifer Johnson (CIMMYT) <J.A.JOHNSON@cgiar.org>
- Stefanie Neno (CIAT) <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Joan Apio <email@example.com>
- Technical assistance: firstname.lastname@example.org
- http://annualreport.iica.int/home.html with PDF in 4 languages: : http://opackoha.iica.int/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=34818
- >>note that there are a LOT of example of annual reports in the powerpoint presentation too!
- Adobe Spark: https://spark.adobe.com/page/dnhO9/
- Social media toolkit for an annual report: https://annualreports.cgiar.org/2016/social-media-toolkit/
- Cheap and good infographics (and other PR material): http://fiverr.com/
- How to set up a branded URL shortener with Bitly (side conversation with Sam): https://bitly.is/2B60Q9C
- Creative annual reports: http://www.creativebloq.com/graphic-design/annual-report-design-2131905
- More on the same: https://www.hongkiat.com/blog/beautiful-annual-report-designs/
- CIAT’s use of Tableau: http://ciat.cgiar.org/datasets/data-visualizations/
This post was originally published at PAEPARD and has been republished with permission.