This post was originally published at PAEPARD and has been republished with permission.
|Henning Knipschild shows how we have a closed circle
of Research->Systems improvement->Knowledge gap
The stakeholder meeting was held back-to-back with the two-day plenary session of the EU-Africa High Level Policy Dialogue (HLPD) on Science, Technology and Innovation, and will broadly address the topics currently discussed in the HLPD:
- Implementing the EU-Africa Research and Innovation Partnership on Food and Nutrition Security and Sustainable Agriculture (FNSSA);
- Developing the EU-Africa Research and Innovation Partnership on Climate Change and Sustainable Energy;
- Exploring horizontal policies of cooperation, such as ‘Research Fairness’and ‘Open Science’ and their potential added value to the two aforementioned EU-Africa R and I Partnerships.
towards future FSSN
The goal of the stakeholder meeting was to facilitate inclusive participation, cooperation and integration among all interested parties from Europe and Africa -from the public sector, private sector, foundations, funding agencies, research-performing organisations, academia and NGOs etc.- to discuss interactively on the topics described above and advance the Research and Innovation Partnerships together.
Download: Draft programme (pdf, 357 KB)
FNSSA Strategy implementation by LEAP-Agri
- The HLPD FNSSA strategy, brief reminder Philippe PetitHuguenin (Cirad) The PROIntensAfrica project, main outcomes and stakeholder involvement
- Pieter Windmeijer (WUR) LEAP-Agri, project concept and preliminary results
- Bernard Mallet (ANR) and Prudence Makhura (NRF)LEAP-Agri, Impact pathway strategy and stakeholder involvement
- Cora Govers (NWO) Enlarging the partnership in relation to the FNSSA roadmap implementation
- Henning Knipschild (BLE) and Hamidou Tamboura (Fonrid); Maurice Héral (ANR)
Africa-EU Joint Programme Initiative on Sustainable Energy by EC/RTD.G and RINEA
- Fadila Boughanemi, Deputy Head of Unit, International Cooperation Africa-EU High Level Policy Dialogue, Priority 2: Climate Change and Sustainable Energy
- Mr. David Otieno, Africa-EU Energy Partnership The Africa-EU Energy Partnership: Activities and Priorities
- Irene Bonvissuto, DG RTD Philippe Schild, DG RTD Support action in preparation of a Joint Programming activity
- Irene Bonvissuto, DG RTD Philippe Schild, DG RTD Joint Programming with EU and African partners for a R&I action in the area of renewable energy
- Niehoff Joerg, Head of Sector, Joint Programming, Open Science and ERA Policy EC Tools for Supporting Collaboration
Philippe Petithugenin CIRAD/Agrinatura
Roadmaps for science and innovation without a barrier:
multi-actor approach MAP needed
- Etienne COYETTE, DG Development and Cooperation, European Commission. Bridging the gap between climate data and decision-making: development cooperation perspectives.
- Manuel CARMONA YEBRA, DG Climate Action, European Commission. Climate Action and the EU-Africa STI Partnership.
- Miguel A. MARTÍNEZ-BOTÍ and Jacopo BORDIGNON, DG Research and Innovation, European Commission. Climate Services for Africa in Horizon 2020’s Work Programme 2018-2020
- Petra MANDERSCHEID, Executive Director of the JPI Climate Central Secretariat, Internationalisation of the Joint Programming Initiative “Connecting Climate Knowledge for Europe” (JPI Climate): Flagship Action for Africa
- Regulatory barriers for innovators in Africa: presenting the “Mother’s Delivery Kit”. Adepeju Opeyemi Jaiyeoba. African innovator from Nigeria. Africa-EU efforts on policy and regulatory coordination on STI
- On Food and Nutrition Security and Sustainable Agriculture. Irene Annor Frempong. Director of Research and Innovation from the Forum for Agricultural research in Africa. (tbc)
- On Climate Change and Sustainable Energy. Stephan Singer. Senior Advisor on Global Energy Policy. CAN International.
- On Global Health Research and Development. Claire Wingfield. Senior Product Development, Policy Officer, Advocacy and Public Policy. PATH. Opportunities and challenges for STI regulatory harmonization in Africa
- Africa’s initiatives on STI harmonization: the African Medicines Agency. Markieu Janneh Kaira. Executive Director of the Medicines Control Agency of Gambia.
- On EU research programmes: Fadila Boughanemi. Deputy Head of Unit of European Neighbourhood, Africa and the Gulf. DG Research and Innovation.
- On EU development programmes: Christer Hermansson. Senior Expert on Panafrican Organizations and Initiatives. EU-Africa, African Peace Facility Unit. DG International Cooperation and Development
- IRD-WASCAL Partnership on Climate Change in West Africa : towards the Abidjan Summit, Jerome TONDOH, WASCAL Competence Center Director
- Concrete illustration of Climate Research and its impacts in West Africa, Jean-Emmanuel PATUREL, IRD Researcher
- Presentation of the Master Program in Climate Change and Energy, Adamou RABANI, WASCAL Director of the Graduate School in Niger
- Key messages from the EU on Climate change in Africa, Etienne COYETTE, Head of Climate change Sector in DG DEVCO, European Commission