This post was originally published at PAEPARD and has been republished with permission.
The report gives an overview of the global situation of investments in agriculture, provides examples from some countries and presents recommendations for future investments in small-scale sustainable agriculture.There is a gap to be filled on new models for investments in small scale, diversified and sustainable farming.
“The rising interest in agricultural investment from the public and private sector contrasts with the very limited role formal financial actors have played so far in providing financial services to agricultural actors, especially rural smallholders and agricultural small and medium enterprises” (page 7)
Elisabeth Atangana is
of the More and BetterNetwork.
She was the first President of the
Pan African Farmers Organization (PAFO)
“There are currently very few funds in Africa targeting inclusive business development, and value chain/sectoral development, cater to SME’s and/or seeking broader positive development impacts (…) Models mainly focus on agribusiness, value chains and SMEs. There are no examples of models for agroecology and other forms of diversified and sustainable agriculture. These financial models are conditional to the adoption of specific technical packages.” (page 13)
- increase knowledge, awareness and discussions about investments in small-scale sustainable agriculture among farmers’ organizations, NGOs, institutions and investors working in agriculture, especially in developing countries, as well as decision-makers and institutions in OECD-countries dealing with official development assistance (ODA).
- Contribute to increased public and private investments in small-scale sustainable agriculture.
- Contribute to build links between organizations for small-scale farmers and investors.
The report provides a brief overview of some key financial institutions and networks investing in agricultural development.
- International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- The Global Agriculture and Food Security Program (GAFSP)
- The Green Climate Fund
- Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN)
- Grow Africa Partnership
- Intergenerational finance
- The Task Force on Innovative Financing for agriculture, food security and nutrition
- Initiative for Smallholder Finance (ISF)
- Direct Finance Institutions (DFI)