Complete Agenda (403.12 KB)
Discussions focused on disentangling myths about urban food security, rethinking informal markets, innovations and investments in rural-urban linkages, and sharing lessons learned from cases studies in Cambodia, Kenya, and Nepal.
Opening Session: Roberto Ridolfi, Director, Sustainable Growth and Development, DG DEVCO, European Commission (EC)
- Morgane Danielou, Vice President of Operations, Emerging Ag
- Brave Ndisale, Strategic Programme Leader, Food Security and Nutrition, Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN
- Gerda Verburg, United Nations Assistant Secretary General and Coordinator of the Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) Movement
Launching the 2017 Global Food Policy Report
Speaker: Shenggen Fan, Director General, IFPRI
Commentator: Regina Birner, Chair of Social and Institutional Change in Agricultural Development, University of Hohenheim
Disentangling selected myths on urban food security
- “Urban-rural linkages and multi-locational household livelihoods” Einhard Schmidt-Kallert, Technical University DortmundBookmarks
- “The urbanization experience in Zimbabwe: A closer look at challenges and opportunities” Rodney Mushongachiware, Agricultural Partnership Trust
Meeting the challenges of urbanization: case studies of scalable approaches
- Investing in rural-urban linkages: examples from Cambodia, Kenya, and Nepal Eelco Baan, Senior Advocacy Officer Agriculture, SNV
- Creating an enabling environment in Kenya for food safety and post-harvest losses Rikki Agudah, acting CEO, Society of Crop Agribusiness Advisors of Kenya (SOCAA) Clement Onyango, Director, CUTS ARC
- How cities reshape food systems Bart Minten, Senior Research Fellow, IFPRI
- Why informal markets should no longer be neglected Delia Grace, Program Leader, Food Safety and Zoonoses, International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
- Corinne Abbas, Senior Policy Officer, Food and Nutrition Security, Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Joachim De Weerdt, Senior Lecturer at IOB, University of Antwerp, and Senior Research Fellow at LICOS, KU Leuven
- Leonard Mizzi, Head of Unit, Rural Development, Food Security, Nutrition, DG DEVCO, EC
- Nazia Mintz Habib, Research Director, Resilience and Sustainable Development, Centre for Rising Powers, University of Cambridge (author of the book: Science, Policy and Politics of Modern Agricultural System. Global Context to Local Dynamics of Sustainable Agriculture Behnassi, Mohamed, Shahid, Shabbir A., Habib-Mintz, Nazia (Eds.), 2014. 380 p.
This post was originally published at PAEPARD by François Stepman. It has been republished here with permission.