This post was originally published at PAEPARD and has been republished with permission.
Complete Agenda (403.12 KB)
Discussions focused on disentangling myths about urban food security, rethinking informal markets, innovations and investments in rural-urban linkages, and sharing lessons learned from cases studies in Cambodia, Kenya, and Nepal.
Opening Session: Roberto Ridolfi, Director, Sustainable Growth and Development, DG DEVCO, European Commission (EC)
- Morgane Danielou, Vice President of Operations, Emerging Ag
- Brave Ndisale, Strategic Programme Leader, Food Security and Nutrition, Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN
- Gerda Verburg, United Nations Assistant Secretary General and Coordinator of the Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) Movement
Launching the 2017 Global Food Policy Report
Speaker: Shenggen Fan, Director General, IFPRI
Commentator: Regina Birner, Chair of Social and Institutional Change in Agricultural Development, University of Hohenheim
Disentangling selected myths on urban food security
- “Urban-rural linkages and multi-locational household livelihoods” Einhard Schmidt-Kallert, Technical University DortmundBookmarks
- “The urbanization experience in Zimbabwe: A closer look at challenges and opportunities” Rodney Mushongachiware, Agricultural Partnership Trust
Meeting the challenges of urbanization: case studies of scalable approaches
- Investing in rural-urban linkages: examples from Cambodia, Kenya, and Nepal Eelco Baan, Senior Advocacy Officer Agriculture, SNV
- Creating an enabling environment in Kenya for food safety and post-harvest losses Rikki Agudah, acting CEO, Society of Crop Agribusiness Advisors of Kenya (SOCAA) Clement Onyango, Director, CUTS ARC
- How cities reshape food systems Bart Minten, Senior Research Fellow, IFPRI
- Why informal markets should no longer be neglected Delia Grace, Program Leader, Food Safety and Zoonoses, International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
- Corinne Abbas, Senior Policy Officer, Food and Nutrition Security, Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Joachim De Weerdt, Senior Lecturer at IOB, University of Antwerp, and Senior Research Fellow at LICOS, KU Leuven
- Leonard Mizzi, Head of Unit, Rural Development, Food Security, Nutrition, DG DEVCO, EC
- Nazia Mintz Habib, Research Director, Resilience and Sustainable Development, Centre for Rising Powers, University of Cambridge (author of the book: Science, Policy and Politics of Modern Agricultural System. Global Context to Local Dynamics of Sustainable Agriculture Behnassi, Mohamed, Shahid, Shabbir A., Habib-Mintz, Nazia (Eds.), 2014. 380 p.