18-21 June 2018. Cape Town, South Africa. Adaptation Futures 2018.
Adaptation Futures is the world’s premier conference on climate change adaptation. Adaptation Futures 2018 aimed to facilitate dialogues for solutions between key actors from diverse perspectives and regions.
The conference aimed to facilitate dialogues for solutions between key actors from diverse perspectives and regions and attracted over 1300 scientists, practitioners, business leaders and policymakers from around the world.
Next year €10 million will be invested through #H2020 in #ClimateServices for #Africa with and African scientists working together to harness the wealth of data from @CopernicusEU to benefit African citizens http://europa.eu/!Ut84pJ (PDF)
The Adaptation Expo showcased the work of 24 organisations actively involved in responding to climate change. Over 130 volunteers from local based organisations contributed their time and skills to making the conference run smoothly.
This is the first time the conference was held on the African continent.
Extracts of the programme
- EU JPI Climate workshop Exploring ways of international cooperation in climate services for Africa European Union DG Clima
- Creating new narratives for integrated approaches to CCA, DRR and transformation, Wageningen University
- Mapping the frontiers of adaptation research and practice, IDRC
- What would transformative adaptations in agriculture look like WRI
- Models of enabling environments for researcher-practitioner collaboration: successes & failures, OXFAM – Prathigna Poonacha, Indian Institute for Human Settlements and Maitreyi Koduganti, Indian Institute for Human Settlements
- Research for Impact. Dynamic approaches, experiences and lessons on research uptake Jesse DeMaria-Kinney, Oxfam GB
- Research for Impact:Dynamic approaches, experiences and lessons on research uptake, ODI
- Community driven responses to climate change. Government policy meets local innovation – experience from Africa, SSN
- Scaling up Ecosystem-based Adaptation: Linking science, practice and policy IIED
- Participatory Scenario Planning for seasonal climate forecast decision making Fiona Percy, CARE International, Africa
- Urban climate resilience European-African knowledge exchange toolbox: Floris Boogaard, Hanze University Of Applied Science, Netherlands
Plenary Chairperson: Mark New – Director, African Climate & Development Initiative (ACDI), University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Moshibudi Rampedi – CEO, South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI), South Africa
- Patricia De Lille – Executive Mayor, City of Cape Town
- Patrick Child – Deputy Director-General, Directorate-General: Research and Innovation, European Commission
- Niklas Hagelberg – Climate Change Coordinator, UN Environment
- Noel Oettle – Programme Manager, Adaptation Network, South Africa
- Lena Kotze – Heiveld Co-operative, Niewoudtville, Northern Cape, South Africa
- Yohan Santosa – Indonesia
- Tlou Ramaru – Deputy Director-General, Climate Change and Air Quality, Department of Environmental Affairs, South Africa
- Ovais Sarmad – Deputy Secretary, UNFCCC
Plenary Chairperson: Jean Palutikof, Director, National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility, Australia
- Cheikh Mbow – Executive Director, International START Secretariat, United States of America
- Daouda Ndiaye – Secretariat, Adaptation Fund Board, United States of America
- Jerry Velasquez – Director: Mitigation and Adaptation, Green Climate Fund, Seoul
- Mandy Barnett – Climate Fund Lead, South African National Biodiversity Institute, South Africa
- Stephane Hallegatte – Lead economist, World Bank, USA
- Steve Nicholls – Head of Environmental Sustainability, National Business Initiative, South Africa.
- Wang Lubin – Chief Representative Officer, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited, African Representative Office; Non-executive director, Standard Bank Group ltd, Standard Bank of South Africa ltd, and ICBC-Standard Plc.
PresenterM Christiaan Wallet – Operations Director, Global Centre of Excellence on Climate Adaptation, The Netherlands
Closing Plenary: The 2020s Adaptation Agenda – Thursday 21 June 2018
Plenary Moderator: Saleemul Huq – Director, International Centre for Climate Change and Development, Independent University, Bangladesh.
Presenter: Erin Coughlan de Perez – Manager, Climate Science Team, Red Cross Red Crescent Climate Centre
- Elena Visnar Malinovska – Head of Unit, Directorate-General: Climate Action, European Commission
- Aromar Revi, Director – Indian Institute for Human Settlements, India
- Minpeng Chen – Professor, Renmin University, China
- Musonda Mumba – Programme Coordinator, UN Environment
- Mark New – Director, African Climate & Development Initiative
- Jian Liu – Chief Scientist and Acting Director of Science Division, UN Environment