This post was originally published at PAEPARD and has been republished with permission.
22 May 2017. Frankfurt, Germany. The topic of this GAAF17 was the “Opportunities and Challenges along the Value Chain: Tailor-Made, Sustainable and Smart Solutions”. Over the coming decades, agriculture will be the main motor of the African labor market. Three quarters of the population in Sub Sahara Africa are already active in this sector. This is also crucial for the economic growth of African countries, accounting for one third of GDP in this region. Nevertheless, the productivity of agriculture is nowhere less than in Africa.
Extracts of the Program GAAF17
New approaches by German and African political decision-makers, business opportunities for the German economy in cooperation with local entrepreneurs as well as innovative solutions from Africa and Germany were presented.
- Sten Guezennec Africa and Middle East Bayer S.A.S.
- Dr Oyewole Babafemi Managing Director African Agribusiness Alliance
- Lutz Hartmann General Manager FruitBox Africa GmbH and Partner Belmont Legal
- Sako Warren Secretary General World Cocoa Farmers Organisation (WCFO)
- Dr Badi Besbes Senior Animal Production Officer Head of the Animal Production and Genetic Resources Unit (AGAS/AGAG), Animal Production and Health Division Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Financing Agricultural Projects in Africa: New Financing Approaches and Instruments What financing structures are being employed successfully? Which instruments are needed? Key African agencies discuss where they have been instrumental in financing vital Agribusiness projects and combating the issue of access to finance across the continent – especially long-term. Which products are offered and where will they increase coverage? Can the huge SME demand be met? How can commercial banks and ECAs collaborate with these organisations? What is the role of international institutions including MIGA, AfDB, EIB and DEG/KFW in helping to get more projects off the ground?
- Johannes Buschmeier Managing Director AFC Consultants International GmbH
- Dr Christophe Cordonnier Frankfurt Business School
- Heike Rüttgers Head of Mandate Management Implementation -Development & Impact Finance European Investment Bank (EIB)
- Benedict Kanu Agriculture Expert, Partnerships Coordinator African Development Bank (AfDB)
- Ulrike Nitsch Vice President DEG – Deutsche Investitions- und Entwicklungsgesellschaft mbH
In 2015, the first German-African agricultural forum was launched, which is still Germany’s only forum with a focus on “Agriculture in Africa”. The German-African Business Association (Afrika-Verein der deutschen Wirtschaft) supports German businesses with their involvement on the African continent. Members profit from our decades-long experience in Africa related issues and a wide network in Africa, Germany and the world.
The Association was founded in 1934. Now, in 2017 we have around 600 members. Our members are mainly German, but also African incorporations, institutions and private individuals. The Afrika-Verein offices are situated in Hamburg and Berlin, Germany.
The Afrika-Verein’s main responsibilities include the organization of events, such as forums, conferences, and business summits, the channeling of contemporary information regarding economic and political issues in Africa, as well as the advocacy of our members.